S is for Secret


S is for secret and Poets United chose this as prompt #45 this week. I have that Beatles song in my head; I promise not to tell.  I found these amazing Soul cards, from my friend Elizabeth, she is an amazing poet. The artist of Soul cards is Deborah Koff-Chapin.


 


gray clouds of grief arrive in final rain
color drained from my finger tips
paint by numbers missing
journey detoured
new holes in 
fractured thoughts
smell of earth's rot lingers
wounded fragile bird must return to nest
flight plans altered
delay, detour,distracted
everlasting fossil of youth cracked
red dust, earthenware foundation, reset
oils of a rainbow infuses fractured light
yellow ocher shines through fog
reflection changed
in rebirth's rain
fertile mind grows
view again altered 
recalculate

My secret is when I was 18, I was detoured from my path.  Secretly, I still want the original plan...







Comments

Mary said…
It is hard when one's plans are derailed especialy at a young age when life should be filled with open doors and possibilities. Lots of strong images in this poem!
Unknown said…
Very strong, powerful imagery. Thanks for sharing this gorgeous verse.
Unknown said…
I think every plan ever made has been remade in one way or another. This is the universal experience.
Isabel Doyle said…
I like the strong colour words you've used in this poem.
It is never too late to do or be what you need to do/be.
My then boyfriend used to sing that Beatles song to me: erhem, 25 years ago ... he still does but not as boyfriend any more.
This poem speaks of so many people I know. I took a different path at 18 but hope I can still accomplish what I wanted then. I'm sure as heck trying.
Peggy said…
Lovely vivid use of words and images in this Ella. Detours can be difficult but they can take us new places and eventually get to where we were going--even if we don't know where that was. Sad poem.
Unknown said…
I love the very strong images your words make. Great job and definitely can see how the picture inspired you.
Ellie Garratt said…
Powerful use of imagery in this poem, Ella. You did a great job of capturing paths chosen!

Ellie Garratt
Anonymous said…
As always there is one phrase in your poem that makes me go "oh, I loooove that!" In this one it's the phrase "oils of a rainbow..." I can SEE that part. Of course, I love it all, but I especially love that description. I enjoy your poetry so much.
Unknown said…
i love the chicks... really.. POETRY by you and Margerie.. I love...
Melissa Sugar said…
Such a strong use of imagery and the colors really tell a story. Great poem. I think we have all been derailed at some point, but recognizing it & getting back on our original chosen path or an even better & brighter one is the key. It sounds like you are on the right path now. Good luck.
Gregg Metcalf said…
Great song for this post. We all get derailed from time to time, but if "they" (who ever they are) are right, it is never to late to back on track. I derailed 15 years ago, but the detour has been worth it.

Gregg Metcalf
Colossians 1:28-29

Gospel-driven Disciples
Deep and intense....just like I love it!

Hey, I would love it if you participated in my poetry contest in my blog!
Ella,
I love the thoughts behind your words.
I too would have wanted to perhaps have taken another path in life. Sadly choices were denied to me, by men of violence in Northern Ireland.
However, my unfulfilled secret remains!!!

Love your Easter themed Blog page Ella!
Happy Easter,
Eileen
Strong poem with vivid imagery. Great picture also.