Poets United

Yes, today is Think Tank Thursday, is this week flying by or is it me?!  I've been running to the dentist, daughter needs her wisdom teeth out, taking her to and from Color Guard practice, running back n' forth to the airport, a few deadlines, and gearing up for the holiday.  I could use a beer :D  root beer float type! It is a must for my family for the holiday; a tradition my Dad started. This memory lead me to my thoughts of freedom, today's prompt #55(yes, I goofed last week and put 55...oops).

 We of course think of our history, with the country's birthday coming up. The prompt also suggest we can take a personal route...what makes us feel free?  I chose that path; I can think of 3 things that make me feel free.  Riding my bike makes me feel free, the wind blowing in my hair, racing around corners, the smell of pine and honeysuckle. Yes, the occasional bug bouncing off my nose, but it is worth the carefree feeling I get and how I feel like a kid every time I hop on my aging blue Schwinn.  Words make me feel free, when I release them and write poetry and type my morning pages. Once I pound out those three pages, my brain feels a release.  My to do list is done, some random thoughts and ideas of what I would like to make, etc.  Art frees me, it makes my soul dance. Sometimes it is a struggle to bring forth what I want to make. When I do and work through my doubt, I feel free....
What makes you feel free?




Cadence of color arrives in a whirl
words swirl during my daily ride
 wind caresses my hair
pine and honeysuckle soothe my senses
ageless rhythm I'm 10 again on my banana seat bike
brilliant blue journey in an endless sea of thought
the rhythm calms me as my pace quickens
I shift into gear
soul's anchor released
I jet through my neighborhood
glide by the busy bodies, the kids playing ball, the neighbor mowing his lawn
my spirit soars
I pump and pedal till an even pace
A breeze awakens me
the sun glaring down on my head
I feel a surge of energy
as if I have wings~

I can't believe I went over 400; I remember when I had 13 followers, it was 1 1/2 yrs ago. Thank you all so much for your support~ I would love to comment on everyone's blog, who visits me. Sometimes life gets in the way. I do try to go back and see who I haven't visited in awhile and play catch up! I so appreciate all of your comments; they are truly music to my soul~!  I wanted to be an artist and live in a library when I was 10, when I wasn't gliding on my bike.  I haven't let go of my dream, even though I have had many detours. It is all about the journey...right!

Comments

Hi Ella .. sometimes we need to forget and become a child again with no responsibilities as you say the wind in your hair .. the paths of the glades as you cycle through. Love the poem ..

You mention gliding .. if you can give that a go sometime .. that is amazing .. I used to do it as a kid .. free as a bird ..

Enjoy the break and hope your daughter's teeth are fine .. look after yourself .. happy 4th July weekend .. Hilary
indiwriter said…
A nice freewheeling poem, Ella. Perfect for the prompt!
It's good sometimes to think of our childhood when every day seemed sunny and we don't remember rainy days. I enjoyed this very much Ella,

Have a wonderful carefree day.
Yvonne.
Isabel Doyle said…
keep the wings flapping ...
Jinksy said…
I'm more the kind of person who lets my mind freewheel - I never did own a bike... ♥
Susannah said…
Nice one. I enjoyed the imagery and loved - "soul's anchor released". :-)
Amanda Trought said…
I love your poetry, its so expressive, this one reminded me of the scooters me and my brother got as kids and that feeling of freedom as we raced through the park. What makes me feel free now is getting creative and exploring new ideas, thanks for being a blessing with your words. Amandax
Mary said…
Yes, Ella, it is all about the journey. I didn't ride my bike all LAST summer. I hope to change that this summer. Your poem inspires me.
You are way over 400 followers now! And a bug off the nose is better than a bug in the mouth. Trust me!
Anonymous said…
Alex beat me to it, I was going to say something about swallowing bugs while riding the bike too... Ah, well! *smile* Enjoyed this immensely, not only because I do enjoy biking, but for all the childhood memories (even the occasional bruised knee) too! Like, like, like!
Unknown said…
You took me out onto my bike... I felt it all. Wonderful!
Wanda said…
May you capture the dreams my friend. Always love reading your work. Have happy 4th of July weekend.
This is what i call expression through poem.You've really nailed it.
Good work.Hope u good.I just dropped another bomb of a poem on my blog so come check it out, comment and share with friends.Good day.
Maggie said…
Oh, now I miss my blue bike. Freedom. That's a lovely word to write. : )

Happy 4th, Ella.
Jingle said…
bike riding is awesome and fitting.
love your take.
Anonymous said…
Awesome post, thanks guy!
I like your blog.
+Follow
DEZMOND said…
I'm kinda afraid of bicycles :) since I have absolutely no balance in my body :) And I'm a danger waiting to happen on road :)

Wishing you lovely holidays, Ella!
TIMMYTHEROBOT said…
great poem! have a lovely holiday
Ellie Garratt said…
Congratulations on having over 400 followers!

I loved the poem, and what makes you feel free. My three things would be, walking along the beach at any time of the year, kicking back on the sofa and reading, and of course words.

Ellie Garratt
Lolamouse said…
Wow! Memories! I remember my purple banana seat bike! With the white woven basket with the big pink flowers on it! I was so cool! (or so I thought!) Thanks for the memories.
dakshi said…
Wonderful.....
Judith C Evans said…
Bike riding makes me feel like a kid, too! Love this poem...I felt as though I were riding along in that "endless sea of thought". Very nice!
Anonymous said…
I need to get a bike! I remember how that feels, but I haven't had one to ride in a really long time. Congrats on your 400, that is just incredible...I'm still where you were 1 1/2 yers ago-haha! :) Have a Happy 4th!!!
~Scarlett
Elizabeth said…
"Soul's anchor released", what a wonderful way to say freedom. Makes it simple to find all those moments when one feels that way. Really like your poem, full of movement and details, and yes the joy of the journey.

Elizabeth
http://soulsmusic.wordpress.com/