Insecure Writer's Support Group

It is the first Wednesday of the month and you know what that means?!  It is time for another installment for the Insecure Writer's Support Group Alex Cavanaugh started this support group.

 Alex wrote up our purpose.  Great idea, Thanks Alex!

"Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!"

 I'm new to the writer's world,  in a lot of ways.  I think I have always been intrigued by words.   I use to collect words and quotes when younger and at age ten I wanted to live in a library.  Yeah, I think my passion was under the surface, as I pursed other avenues and interests.  

The thing that really gets me about the whole process is how those that don't do it, ..label us.  I'm a kook, crazy, aliellen because I have decided I might really give this a try.   I wish there was a test we could take and define our writing personality.  It owns us....words start to stand out on pages, they almost appeared enlarged and highlighted, a sentence makes you run n' skip and your thoughts leap ahead.  Then we dance with doubt, it twirls us, dips us and makes us shake, rattle and roll.   Instead of feeling bad about it, let the fog clear and enjoy that you are unique. It is a burden and a gift, but what isn't?!   No matter what you love to do, there will be a part of it that is uncomfortable or tough.  It is worth the fight to carry on, if you love it enough.

My horoscope today at Freewill Astrology said some odd things, but I will share this with you:
" Be as thorough as a spy, as relentless as a muckraking journalist, and as curious as a child."  I think writer's need this to be their motto! 

Recently I did a poetic challenge involving Shakespeare.  We had to select one of his quotes:

"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by 
fearing to attempt." ~ William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure


Here is my poem:


Rejection=dimmed lighting
confidence stolen
thief like
between takes
 shadows enter the valley
doubt dances around us like thick fog
it taunts us and calls us names
psychological pressure remains
like a cold front
We need some illusion, parted crimson lips
and a black silk gown
or 
maybe we need the angelic, 
sweet wide eyed gal
green thoughts abound in her
innocent world
or
maybe we need a sailor's view
cussing and boozing to
to ride out the storm
Your spirit is at war...who will win?
Perhaps the script is easy
soothing tea and a warm shoulder
a box of tissues and a tear jerker
will nurse the good to try, try again


Whatever your position is right now, remember the dance of doubt will change.  If you keep at it and write you might get to dance with the one you long for from afar.   The only way you will have a chance is if you keep dancing.  In our case, we have to dance with words, lots of them... 

Comments

Excellent poem for today's post, Ella!
And those who don't write have no idea what they are missing.
Sherry Blue Sky said…
Beautifully written, Ella. We write because we must, because the gift and the impulse lies so strongly within. Years when I didnt write, because of lack of motivation, or support, or because everyone was demanding too much of me to have time, I always flt guilty, and knew I should be writing. Also we deserve to have the time we need to bring forth our gifts respected and encouraged. Yes, we must keep dancing! Our happiness depends on it!
Excellent poem Ella, great to read,

Yvonne.
Hannah said…
Hi, Ella!!! I was looking for an about space to say this to you:

You've been awarded!! The Sunshine Reader Appreciation award! Come see!

http://wordrustling.wordpress.com/2012/07/03/reader-appreciation/
Ella,

This is a wonderful idea for anyone, insecure, nervous or otherwise.
I will try to remember to visit it, time permitting.
Good luck with this new venture.

Eileen :)
PapaBear said…
Great Poem Ella. And your comment "...a sentence makes you run n' skip and your thoughts leap ahead." really hit a chord with me. I recently slaved over an entire scene, around 4,000 words, and then from nowhere this paragraph appeared. It was the very last paragraph in this scene. And I LOVED it. I think it will be one of the best paragraphs out of the book. Someone once said "Writing is easy, just sit down [at the computer] and open a vein." After sweating blood over this scene this pearl, this beautiful set of words appeared and made it all worth while. Happy to meet you. ~PapaBear
Unknown said…
I like!!!!!!

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I've already made my list of three....now to decide.... ; )
Arlee Bird said…
I don't think I'd mind living in a library. I've been kind of working toward that goal and I think my wife gets somewhat irritated by it sometimes.


Lee
Tossing It Out
Monica said…
Hi Ella,
I've recently started to write poems, while reading Inner Excavation. This means stepping out of my comfort zone (even more because I write them in English which is not my first language) but I really love it! You're a very talented poet and can't wait to see where you're going to fly.
Hugs!
Wanda said…
Most of of us have danced with doubt but thank goodness we can change partners :)
Ella said…
Hi Wanda-I love your words! Yes, time to switch it up~ I'll be by soon! Thank you~

Monica-Thank you so much! I'll be by to visit!~ I love that you are sharing your new art with us~ Your fingers illuminate light! Have fun with poetry and be open to trying lots of unique prompts! :D Hugs to you~

Lee-Me, too! Hubby is not happy...
I am thankful for my IPAD and Kindle app. It has made the process easier~ I do prefer holding a book, but now I can read at night and disturb no one~
You made me laugh ;D I'll be by soon!

Tessa-It is tough! I will visit you again...I just think we have to pick the one that is really in our mind. Once it is narrowed down it helps the focus~ I'm intrigued and wonder will pick?! :D

PapaBear-I am so happy for you!
Congrats!!! It is a process and we have to be open...yes, the vein, lol
Happy to meet you...you make me think. So, our words are our blood! Powerful thoughts flying from our fingertips.... I'll be by!

Donna-Thank you! :D

Eileen-Thank you! I can't wait to hear about your trip~ I hope it is magical :D ATB

Hannah-Thank you so much! What a wonderful gift for a Toad, lol
I'm behind, but I will be by...
Thank you :D

Yvonne-Thank you! I can't wait to see what you have been up to?! ;D

Sherry-So well said! I think you are right, we have to! It is our life's energy flowing out through our fingertips~ Thank you so much~

Alex-Thank you! Yes, you are right! I'm still trying to comment on those who contributed this week. Hope you are doing well on your art form ;D
Unknown said…
Who would've guessed that an astrology site could have something so profound? I think you're right -- that's a great motto and one all of us writers should aspire to. Awesome! :-)
Benjamin Thomas said…
Those thoughts have been dancing in my head for quite a while now! A dance with doubt indeed! It seems to a fickle dream at best that never comes into fruition.

Thanks for the encouragement.