Finding the Shore in my Day

I am craving the shore, again.   I will probably go soon.  A confession:  I don't like the beach, when it is too crowded.   I like to stroll the shore looking for treasure, running and jumping in the waves.  A day just basking in the sun-isn't me.  I grew up with the shore being busy and quiet.   I love both, but their are times I just need the peace to wash over me, to be alone with my thoughts.  It doesn't happen as much these days, so I am trying to find new ways to find the shore in my every day.




“I am the shore and the ocean, awaiting myself on both sides.”
Dejan Stojanovic, The Shape














I love my family and friends, but there are times I want to spiral inward and have my memories wash over me.  I can catch the ones that capture my attention, light my soul and  reflect joy.  Then I can move on into the crowd, the loud and make new ones.  I guess I daily need that time out to reflect, to write, and create.   Does this mean creative people are like Hermit crabs?   Maybe-all I know is if I don't have time or space to be creative I am a real crab!   So, it is time to get creative and find ways, to have my shore like time out, no matter where I am.  Where do you retreat from the world?  Do you have a special place or shell to call your own?!   I think I will journal more.  What about you?!

Comments

When I play my guitar is when I retreat. It's become the greatest therapy.
I don't know about the beaches up there, but you might want to wait a week until the crowds die down. I think half of our state takes off from work this week to go to the beach. Why? I have no idea...
Yolanda Renée said…
I am so used to having people around me, growing up with 5 brother and sisters. To be alone was a struggle and I learned to do it in a crowd But to be honest, I hate crowds. I love solitude and prefer music to television, and distance in my views, otherwise I feel claustrophobic. My family hates that I can ignore them so well - one of those nasty habits - that is also about survival.
Mark Koopmans said…
I gladly give up sleep for stillness and am an *absolute* night owl.

When the house is quiet and the living room is dim and shadowy is when I relax and write the best.

Sherry Blue Sky said…
I love the idea of finding the shore in your every day:)Love the shells too!
Susan Kane said…
My quiet place and space is in a dark house with silence and a good book. My journals are by my side with a pen that works.

Lovely post, lovely photos.
I echo Sherry's comment. the shells are beautiful.

Music is always included in my quiet space. It comes sometimes in the form of the leaves playing in the wind, the oceans roar, the birds early in the morning, this is all music to my ears and envelops my quiet space.

Love your take on this, mi amiga
Ella said…
Marcoantonio-Beautiful! Your response is a poem :D
Thank you so much~

Susan-oooh, sounds cool and lovely~
A pen that works is the key :D
Thank you for sharing~

Sherry-Thank you! Yes, this is what I will have to do. Everywhere I have lived I have had a spot that was retreat. Here I struggle-maybe a sign to move! ;D

Mark-Me, too! I have many times and this is why I need a coffee IV to function, lol. Ah, love that-

Yolanda-I think I am learning, but it is tough. It is like being in the eye of a hurricane. I am happy you found your way~ It is a way to cope. ((hugs))

Alex-I love that~ I need new strings-I will get them next week. Yes, I agree-everyone wants to be on the beach around the 4th. I will wait! Thanks :D Do not go camping this week, unless you love crowds.
Wanda said…
I definitely feel a bit crabby after spending too much time surrounded my noise. There's no beaches around my parts but I think I may visit one of the lakes, although it's sure to be crowded. Hope you have a Happy 4th of July!
Ella said…
Hi Wanda-Thank you! I totally know how you feel! I have to drive in crazy to get to any shore! I'll wait till after the holiday~ I hope you and yours have a lovely time~
Mary said…
Hope you find a way to do a creative retreat, Ella. Everyone needs this sometime to rejuvenate, I think!!
L. Diane Wolfe said…
I'm an only kid so I need those moments away, those moments to myself to process and think. And to recharge.
Misha Gerrick said…
I also like circling in on myself sometimes.

Started doing yoga three times a week so I can center myself often.
Ella said…
Hi Misha-Yes, the calm inside the storm is how I see yoga. We do have to practice and find our calm~ Thank you for sharing :D I hope you love it~

L.Diane-I was an only child for 6 1/2 yrs. I understand-I think most creative types are like this. I hope you are recharged :D

Mary-Yes, I love that word rejuvenate-it helps soothe our souls~ I hope you too are rejuvenated :D Thank you~
Shelly said…
I'm a beach walker myself. Heck with the sitting. I, too enjoy quiet and going inside myself.

Hugs and chocolate,
Shelly