The Best one you remember so far.....

I'm talking about CAKE, lol!  I rode my exercise bike and watched the Food Network Show, "THE BEST EVER....."   I am craving junk; I know it is cause I'm stressed a bit and stressed=desserts spelled backwards. Thank you everyone for your kind comments; I am going to go back and respond. I guess bottom line for me, I need alone time to create, write. My Mom is a night owl and a talker, so mentally I am trying to figure out how this is going to work. She has had two people inquire and walk through her home, since it went on the market. It was listed yesterday afternoon; yes this is my childhood home, by the bay.

 This is the glassed in porch I mentioned in my article and see the green butterfly. I mentioned in my poetry post, last week.  This glider was also mentioned in my article. It came with the home; it is really old. 


It is sad, a lot of us are dealing with issues, since our world isn't in the greatest shape right now. I would like to see us vote in our politician's raises, not them. In fact I think they should go without pay for awhile and go to a pseudo homeless bootcamp. They can eat trash, be dirty and go without their comforts. Then maybe some things would be resolved differently. I can wish.... I don't usually go this route on my blog; I apologize for interrupting the Food Network.  Now, back to our feature...

My son's birthday is coming up, less than a month. My kids both have their favorite cakes. His fav is this Chocolate cake with Whoopie Pie icing.  It is a combo of shortening, marshmallow fluff , confectionery sugar and vanilla. I will find it and share the recipe, if anyone is interested.  If you add coco powder to it; it has the taste of a 3 Musketeers candy bar. My daughter's choice, for the past 7 years is a French vanilla cake with Orange icing, yes tinted orange.  This year, he isn't sure what he wants. For fun I was hoping you would all share you favorite birthday cake combo. No, you don't have to share the recipe, but the BEST BIRTHDAY CAKE EVER, you have had so FAR.  If you like, you can share details of that memorable day, by combo I mean ice cream.  Oh, my favorite so far is this moist white cake with Fudge frosting.  I love so many flavors of ice cream,  but anything with coffee n' chocolate wins me over. Best birthday, last one was pretty good, but so far my 25th can't be beat. It was the birthday of Naval Aviation in Pensacola, FL. The whole week was a celebration,  air shows, etc. I went to a Bob Hope show, saw Sammy Davis Jr, Jonathan Winters and Brook Shields. The last night was my birthday and the fireworks were spectacular. It was like watching a grand finale performance, for almost an hour.  What about you; what is your BEST?
This was my son's birthday cake, last year.  He wanted a Dexter cake, think Red Velvet with Cream cheese icing with fake blood.


Comments

kaykuala said…
Say, Ella, that's a lot of a mouthful. That is how we menfolks would view it. We think of downing in all of the goodness and were not really particular what icing or color it came with (for me at least!)
Oh man I love those live in front porches! Still, it's a sad time for your family. My mom was always so determined not to have to live with any of her daughters. Even tho several of us offered. She ended up in an independent living center up till she had her last stroke.
Ella said…
Kaykuala-Actually is the cake pan you see ;D Good to know; I appreciate you telling me like it is~

KarenG-Yes, lots of happy memories; it is sad! She talked about doing that, but my Mom isn't that social; she use to be. She loves to garden, so we offered again. We will have to make it work... It is sad to see the home go and sad to lose my nook. I guess I will have to buy more suitcases and hide my craft stuff in them ;D Thank you for sharing!
Jules said…
Ellen it seems I've missed something important and I'm sorry for my internet/cable issues. I'll try to catch up. But cake, you asked about cake...

I turned 42, had a great party, finished off 26 bottles of bubbly and I know I had a cake but for the life of me all I remember is red with white icing. :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow
Donna Shields said…
I love that front porch. Looks so cozy...

My best cake was the chocolate oreo cake with yummy chunks of brownies on top. A chocolate lover's dream. My sister is awesome :)
shelly said…
Boy, you;ve been thinking deep.
Ella said…
Shelly-I didn't have any caffeine today and I'm suffering~ Or is it my sinuses that are making my head pound?! ;D

Donna-Wow, sounds incredible! Lots of guitar parties and watching thunder showers on that porch~ Thanks for sharing; your sister is awesome!

Jules-When my head isn't pound; I will catch up you! I never go to bed early, tonight I am...head and teeth hurt(sinus for sure,now). Yes, that sounds like some cake ;D
Kristin said…
Ha! A Dester cake! How cool is that!? Kendra's day is coming up too - September 27th - we will both be in party mode . . . Hmm, my most memorable would be the time for my 10th that I made my OWN birthday cake and was so excited to share it - and then my party was canceled due to extreme wether (in CA!) . . . but as far as favorite flavors? Probably a white hawaiian type of cake. xoxo
Spenc said…
So sad about your childhood home, at least your memories are safe, and you've taken pictures before it's gone.
I recently make my significant other a birthday cake that was lemon with blueberry compote filling and lemon frosting, it was amazing. For my birthday I always pick chocolate cake with mint frosting. Crumb, now I want some cake!
Ella said…
Spenc-Sorry, about that! I know me, too~ Both sound amazing! I love lemon...
Thank you, yes my memories are tucked away for now. Writing about it will help! Thank you for sharing! I do love mint chocolate chip ice cream; I bet your cake is wonderful~

Kristin-How exciting, children's birthdays are so fun! Yes, both in birthday mode and my Mom's is the last day of summer, so I will be working on mailing the RED Summer of Color art and other things ;D
Wow, I bet you felt so big! Sad about your party being cancelled!
The Hawaiian cake sounds amazing~
Thanks for sharing xXx
DEZMOND said…
love that glass porch, Ella! When can I pop over for a tea there? But no fake blood please on my tea biscuits :)
Ella said…
Dezzy-Yes, I wish you could have tea with me on that porch. My Mom collects elephants. There is an elephant table out there. You can't see it though. This is a real estate photo. She must have gosh, 70 elephants inside her home, all over. She has never bought one;they all were given to her. No fake blood on your biscuit ;D
anthony stemke said…
Desserts is Stressed spelled backwards, I KNEW there was a good reason to eat sweets when I shouldn't. CM.
Mike Patrick said…
Is "Dexter cake" a reverence to the Dexter TV series? I love that show, and from what you show of the cake, it would be appropriate.
Ella said…
Yes Mike, I have better photos. I used a real knife on the cake and we even did a blood splatter pattern with red yarn and wrapped my son's gifts in butcher paper with red yarn and splattered red paint on them. We had yellow plastic tape saved from Halloween, to mark the Crime Scene. He loved it...of course the cake was Red Velvet ;D. It is going to be on late, this season. I heard Oct 2nd. If you go to Showtime's website there is a sneak peek! I love it, too~ Nice to know another fan~ Did you watch the actor in Six Feet?! He is brilliant~

Anthony-lol, I know right~
Anonymous said…
Those are some interesting cake combos. I wish I had some really exciting cake to share, but you know what I love? Grocery store cake (white) with the old sugary buttercream icing. I could eat a whole cake by myself!1 :) Sounds like you are coming down with something, I hope you're feeling better very soon! ~Scarlett
Ella said…
Hi Scarlett-I am a huge fan of white cake and white frosting. Frosting is my favorite part ;D My husband likes 1/4" of it spread thin, not me I want a lot of it, piled high, lol.

Thank you; I think it is allergies and we have a fire not far from where I live. The smoke is bothering everybody, when the wind brings it close. I'm near the Great Dismal Swamp.
Pixie said…
Amen! I can't vote myself a raise, nor does my company offer me any benefits (health insurance, retirement, 401k). I think if congress and other politicians had to REALLY live like the average American, things would be differnet. I hope things get better for everyone.