An Exercise to spark your imagination

Charmaine Clancy is holding her first blogfest.   



You share a creative exercise, something that gets the sparks flying, pistons firing, and the juices flowing.  I found this exercise, yes it is a poetic type one, but I think it could work. It gives you a rough outline of characteristics.  Credit goes to the book, "Poem Crazy"~Susan G. Woolridge


Write an acrostic poem using your name or a character in your story. Playing with this medium can help you develop their characteristics. It is fun, if you don't like the adjectives you come up with, change them or the characters name, or add a middle name.  I did my name.


E- exotic
L-likeable
L-loving
E-energetic
N-nervous



(I picked exotic, because I have been asked what nationality I am about 6 times. I really need to research my father's side of the tree. Mom's has been done, but not Dad.  I have been told I'm Spanish, Indian, Puerto Rican, Mexican, Eskimo and Hawaiian.

Now my last name:

W-witty
I-intuitive
L-lady(difficult, too many L)
S-sincere
O-obstinate(yes, I am stubborn)
N-nice 

You could add your or the characters middle name for more insight and fun! Isn't it fun; try it with your name, your characters and see what comes up. My middle name is Louise, another L...augh

L-Lovely
O-outrageous
U-unique
I-Individual
S-surprising
E-excitable

Try it and see what you come up with, your name, your characters names, your dog or cat.
Be sure to visit the blogfest it is all this week. You can still join or just enjoy the exercises.

Comments

DEZMOND said…
ooh, love the new orange feel of your blog, Ella, reminds me of summer marigolds :)
Dawn M. Hamsher said…
I like this one. Thank you! I'll do words I associate with my main character:

D - duty
A - avoidance
N - need for safety
Y - yearning for family
A - agenda

The Write Soil
Misterio Vida said…
ah... will try to do my name :)
This is fun! I'll post mine when the week is over - I'm going to do my characters :)
Ella said…
Thanks for being open. It is simple, but fun~
Dawn, I love how you did yours :D
Lynette Killam said…
This is a great exercise, Ella! Just had to give it a try...

L Loves to laugh
Y Yearns for peace
N Needs to create
E Embraces Empathy
T Tends to worry
T Tries to be kind
E Embraces silliness

Thanks for stirring up my creativity this morning...am off now to check out the other ideas...:)
Unknown said…
hi... friend.. I have been MIA since June.. Have no idea.. what has happend... I am sick now.. lupus too.. but I wanted to share my poem with you...
L-likable
I-interesting and interested
S- sad
A- artistic
Fun idea!! :D

A - artistic
N - nap happy
N - nymph
Ella said…
Aquariann-I love yours :D I love nap happy~ You are creative~

Lisa-I hope you are feeling better; it was interesting to see your picks~
Take Care xXx

Lynette-I loved that you stopped by~
Your art room amazes me! You are so fun~

Charmaine-Thanks for stopping by! It is fun, isn't it!

Muhammad-Oh, I do hope you will try :D

Thank you Dez! ;D
Poetic Soul said…
This is just fun to do
Ella said…
Hi Poetic Soul...isn't it :D
L was tough for me
Brianna said…
Fun!

P - Private
R - Ready for adventure
I - Intelligent
S - Spunky
S - Sassy
Love this idea! I often do these on index cards so I can carry my little acrostics bios of my characters tucked away in my notebook. It's a great way to keep the important details of my characters fresh in my mind.